Friday, February 28, 2014

Heading to Hong Kong Tomorrow!

Hi everyone,

So tomorrow morning, I could be doing what most of my colleagues are doing: sleeping in, grading papers, and preparing for next week's classes. But instead, I'm getting on a plane and going to Hong Kong. As the coordinator of the Ursinus College Teaching and Learning Initiative, I'll  be working with Dr. Liz Ho, Dr. James Pounder, and the Teaching & Learning Center at Lingnan University. We'll be working together to pilot a program I run here at Ursinus, the Student Consultant program.  Student Consultants are trained students who partner with faculty to help them improve one of their courses. Thanks to Lingnan's generosity, two Ursinus students, Christine Saraco and Codey Young, will be accompanying me. You can read about what we're doing here: (http://blogs.ursinus.edu/teachingandlearning/2014/02/28/student-consultancy-program-going-overseas-to-china/#more-364). There's an especially nice picture of Chris and Codey, here, btw!

For those interested in work stuff, I'm hoping to comment here on what I see of the university system in Hong Kong, the relationships between students and faculty, and the transition Hong Kong institutions are making as they embrace general education.  I'm desperately curious about what we will encounter as we visit classrooms and talk to professors and students daily.  If you're not interested in work stuff, I'm still hoping this won't be boring: I'll be posting here about as many aspects of the city as I can take in over the next two weeks: people, food, fashion, street life, art, buildings, language.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for blogging, Meredith! Give Liz a big hug for me, will you? :)

    ReplyDelete